This week is my last at the internship. I managed, in a rather short amount of time, to complete all of my hours. I also managed to complete more than 20 pages of work that I can reflect upon for my final portfolio. In this post, I'd like to reflect on my internship as a whole, and comment on how I feel I have grown in experience.
Today, in my weekly meeting with my supervisors, I was asked how I felt my internship had gone. I took a moment to reflect on this question, and then I gave them my answer. I said that I felt my internship had provided me with a wealth of experience in both writing and editing, but also in the area of professionalism and what to expect in a professional atmosphere that is very different from my other job. I added that I felt my supervisors had given me a very diverse workload, and I learned so many things from what I was given to accomplish. For instance, I never thought I'd write a grant. That wasn't something I was expecting to have to complete, and yet, I gained information about the process that may help me further on in my career.
From the first day I walked into the Medical Society of Delaware, I was provided with work. Both of my supervisors were very concerned that I receive enough work, and that it be varied enough that I gain the best experience possible. That was great, because I felt like I had less pressure to gather my 20 pages, because they gave me plenty to do, and feel useful doing it.
And while I still feel a little lost in what I am writing here, especially when I write articles that deal with medical jargon and political issues I am not familiar with, I feel like I have gained a insight into communication, both written and verbal. Doctors are very different people to write for than say, another peer. They have a certain expectation from the articles and newsletters they receive, and it is important to communicate facts to them clearly.
Another valuable thing I learned here at MSD was that miscommunication can happen all the time. So it is important to make sure that what you are trying to communicate is clear, concise and correct. There were times when I would write a sentence in an article, and my supervisor would edit and rework it. It would be simpler, and yet exactly the same thing I had previously said.
I have learned a lot here at MSD in 6 weeks. And while it feels like a short time, I am quite grateful for the chance they have given me, and the trust they put in me. It was especially awesome that I got my own office to work in. Anyway, I think I can safely say that what I learned in 6 weeks will definitely help me when I go to look for a job in a few months. And I really am quite thankful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice reflection here, Lauren. I'm glad that in your exit interview you mentioned not only the explicit writing & editing type of things you learned but also your developing sense of what it means to be a professionalism. I think your reflective essay in your portfolio would be a great space in which to elaborate on this point. How exactly do you define that term? What does it mean to work "in a professional manner"? And what are examples from your internship in which you felt yourself making that move into "professionalism"?
ReplyDelete