Even though I am now in the second week of my internship, I want to go back and talk about the first experiences I had last week. First of all, I chose to intern at the Medical Society of Delaware for my Captstone. The Medical Society of Delaware is a community situated in a small office. Their job is to aid and inform the physicians of the Delaware area. I am currently working in the Communications area of the Society. This area deals more with written communications, such as the Delaware Medical Journal, newsletters, e-mails, broadcast faxes and more.
My first day at the Medical Society of Delaware was an exciting, interesting and terrifying day for me. I was a little nervous coming into a position I had never had any experience with. I was given a tour, introduced to all the people and, with helpful explanation, asked to complete my first task. Most of what I did the first day included editing, although I did create a subscription form for the MSD's journal, of which I am quite proud of. It looks like a subscription form you might find in a magazine, and gives information about the journal itself, as well as how to order it.
In addition to the editing, and subscription form, I was asked to write my first articles for a broadcast fax, and to write my first full article about President Obama's speech at the American Medical Association's Annual Meeting. I want to expand briefly on all these tasks.
The editing that I am required to do I find the easiest and the most enjoyable. I like being about to sit and read through these medical articles, although most are filled with medical language I am completely unfamiliar with. Mostly, I edit for style, although I do pick up grammar and punctuation errors along the way. One of the best examples of this is the % symbol. Many of the physicians use this symbol, but in the MSD Journal, they consistently use the word "percent". I feel like I picked up their consistencies very quickly. However, I am still missing some editing mistakes. I am trying, with advice from my supervisors, to take my time and edit much slower, going over the article more than twice.
In regards to the articles I am writing, I find that it is incredibly hard for me to sit down with a brief news article, and glean information from that to write my own article. For one, I'm not really familiar with what I'm writing about, and secondly, I feel like I'm plagiarizing from these articles, even if I only take a few of the words they use and spin them around. It's a very vexing part of what I have to do. I feel like I can not write well enough for these articles, and I'm terrified of plagiarizing something accidentally and having someone call the Medical Society about it. Now I want to be clear, I'm checked by my supervisors. But, I still find it increasingly hard to just write these articles in a manner to which satisfies me.
I hope to discuss this at the weekly meeting I attend with my supervisors tomorrow. But I am definitely learning that writing is a lot harder than coming up with papers for class. In addition, I've already learned a lot about bulk mail, (I even went on a field trip to the post office), broadcast faxes, medical journals and business meetings. I feel like each task I do provides me with a new challenge, and something new I can learn from it. And while I'm starting to reevaluate exactly what I consider my strengths and weakness, I can definitely say with supreme confidence, that just because you can write, doesn't mean you know all there is about writing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for sharing a very interesting post, Lauren. I'm glad that you acknowledge your sense of uncomfortableness on your first day or so; it certainly seems that the staff has done a good job o easing you into your position, providing ample explanation and feedback -- two important aspects of any learning experience.
ReplyDeleteI'd be interesting in hearing you say more about your approach to the editing projects. How are you negotiating the texts given, as you describe it, your unfamiliarity with the medical terminology in the journal articles you're editing? What specifically do you mean when you say that you're editing for "style"? What kind of style are some of the texts presenting, what kind of style do you think they need to present, and what kinds of editing changes are you making to help create this style?
I'm also interested in hearing more about your rhetorical approach to the texts you're researching and writing. Who is your audience for these texts? What is the audience's interest and purpose in reading? And what's your purpose in writing? In what ways does that understanding help you to make decisions about what information to pull from other sources, what kind of information to leave out, what kind of additional information you need to research and add?